Sunday, May 18, 2008

talking? to 'Sex'

I told him that I was annoyed at this effusive show of appreciation because it was so unneccessary, and that we could talk, but we had to walk at the same time.
My duty then was to the dog's 'duty'. As we ambled, I advised the eldest brother of my affinity for dogs and kids, but that being friendly didn't mean that either of us were moving into the others house. (I really like my space.)
I added that all I really wanted to do was welcome them to the neighborhood and to 'put my money where my mouth was' i.e. - demonstrate that welcome, and then, with a smile, "perhaps acquire one or two dog-walkers in the process; not to mention wood-stackers, 'lawn-mowers', leaf-rakers, house-painters, etc.,etc." I went on - before either lad could say anything - "besides, with your names, you have enough to deal with now, and probably will continue to have some difficulties." I added "I must admit to my curiosity about some of your family's adventures and to how and when you got your names."

"Letsav" was quite used to the curiosity but not the matter-of-fact tone of my comment. With appreciation - he apparently was glad I was not smiling, smirking or snide - he proffered, "our folks could be more accurate than we could about the family name, but it did start when our great, great grandparents emigrated from Europe; and yes, although each of us has had a few problems because of our name, the pluses have far outweighed the minuses.
Each of us has actually had some funny and interesting experiences.
Most of us will tell you about them if you ask."

No comments: